Wolf’s den




Thanking someone above for the many near misses

a snotty wide-mouthed kiss on the lips

Rediscovering the delights of doodling with crayons

constantly apologising to the poor beleaguered cat

Home sweet home

I’ve wanted to make a mini-quilt for a while, as I figure that small projects are mode my kind of thing – more likely to get finished, portable, easy to work on in 5 minutes here and there in between feeding, entertaining and cleaning small person.

I’ve enjoyed Whip Up’s mini quilt month features, and would love to make one of the more “arty” abstract quilts from the book, but for my first effort I restrained myself and went a bit more traditional.

Home sweet home quilt

I hand appliqued and embroidered the centre panel, with the house shape based on one from Mama Spark’s World’s My neighborhood block of the month patterns.

appliqued house

I used a very cunning (i.e. a slap the head, shout Doh! why didn’t that occur to me before?) technique that I discovered in Don’t Look Now‘s work, using Steam-a-seam paper to permanently bond the shapes to each other and the background, and then hand embroidered the edges to seal them. I love the look of this kind of appliqué – clean unbulky lines, and sharp corners that I never manage to achieve using needle-turn techniques.

This project has turned out to be a medley of many different stitching ideas, as the flowerbeds are crocheted to give a 3D element to the design:

crocheted flowerscrocheted flowers

I tried out some tracing techniques to embroider the lettering. I started off using an air-erasable pen, but had only got partway through the first home before the tracing had completely disappeared! Not immensely useful, so I ended up using a light brown indian ink fine-liner, which worked ok, although it meant that I had to be more accurate in order to cover the lines.

I used a new gadget to machine quilt round the appliquéd shapes and embroidered smoke, adding an extra layer of wadding to give depth. Darning foot – marvellous thing! Note: I was going to buy the branded Janome one for well over a tenner, but happened upon a sewing machine repair shop that had drawers full of  secondhand generic machine feet. With a bit of discussion we decided that the darning foot he had would probably fit my machine, and indeed it did. I do love a bargain, although it turns out that I will probably use this enough to make the Janome one value for money.

Finally, I added a legend to the back and a couple of hanging loops. I hope the recipients liked it.

Techniques used:

  • Fusible web appliqué
  • Hand embroidery: blanket, stem, back stitches
  • Crochet (8 SC into a magic ring)
  • Trapunto
  • Free motion machine quilting
  • Machine piecing
  • Handmade bias binding
  • Hand sewing (oft forgotten, most important)

Get every new post delivered to your Inbox.